The number of online high school students is climbing in the Rocky Mountains. Learn about the different types of online high schools in Colorado and decide on a program that suits you and your family.
Online high schools in Colorado
Online high school enrollments are climbing in Colorado. The Colorado Department of Education reports that over 15,200 students were registered in online educational programs across the state in the 2010-11 school year. While that figure makes up only 1.8 percent of all enrolled students statewide, it also represents an increase of 14 percent from the previous academic year.
Colorado boasts an educated populace; in 2009, the number of adults holding bachelor's degrees was higher than the national average, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Educators in the Centennial State have designed a wide variety of online programs and courses for Colorado students.
Different types of Colorado online high schools
Just like you'll find different types of traditional high schools -- including charter, private and public programs -- online high schools also fall into various categories with their own subtle differences. Online high schools in Colorado include the following:
- Multi-district online charter schools are generally tuition-free, and don't have the same regulations that public schools have. Applicants may be subject to a lottery for admission.
- Multi-district online schools accept students from across the state of Colorado for tuition-free education.
- Private schools typically offer self-paced programs with flexible start dates. Some schools target college prep studies, and some feature personalized programs.
- Single-district online programs provide hybrid education, mixing face-to-face classes and online education; these are limited to a student's home district.
- Single-district online schools serve students in their home districts.
- Supplemental online programs are designed to supplement campus-based programs, either as in-district or multi-district.
Navigating the world of online high schools in Colorado requires some knowledge up-front. Researching the options in your area will help you personalize an online education plan and make an informed decision.
Popular State Searches
- Online High Schools in Alabama
- Online High Schools in California
- Online High Schools in Florida
- Online High Schools in Georgia
- Online High Schools in Massachusetts
- Online High Schools in New York
- Online High Schools in Ohio
- Online High Schools in Texas
- Online High Schools in Virginia
- Online High Schools in Washington
Colorado Online High Schools
- 21st Century Virtual Academy 7 - 12
- Monte Vista On-Line Academy 6 - 12
- Academy Online High School 9 - 12
- Denver Public School Online 9 - 12
- Insight School of Colorado 9 - 12
- Provost Academy Colorado 9 - 12
- Branson School Online K - 12
- Colorado Connections Academy K - 12
- Colorado Cyber School K - 12
- Colorado Distance and Electronic Learning Academy K - 12
- Colorado Virtual Academy K - 12
- Eldorado Academy K - 12